Thursday, June 2, 2011

Away we go!

So here it is, my first attempt to start a blog that I hope will showcase creativity and be entertaining to follow. For Christmas this past year, I received a sewing machine. I had asked for one and was very excited when I opened it. I've never been much of a sewer and besides the one semester of costume crew and the costume construction class I took in undergrad (yes, I was a Theatre major) I've never done much on a sewing machine. I remember 'sewing by hot glue gun' because I was so intimidated by the costume shop and the different machines that were in there. But, the first machine I used was a serger and I thought it was the most amazing thing! Once I learned the machines and spent hours making multiple Clara gowns and soldier jackets for our production of Nutcracker that year, I wasn't quite so intimidated. But, it is not something that I kept up with. Fast forward 13 years (jeez!) and I have been a teacher, a student again, a stage manager and now a mom. There started to be an 'itch' to create things. I have dabbled in other crafts throughout the years. Tried scrapbooking...didn't like it. I found that I would stress out so much because I wanted it to look as if things were just thrown on to the page and it took a lot of work and effort to get it that way. So, paper, stickers, page protectors and an unfinished project for my niece sit in the basement (sorry, Cora). I also got really into making jewelry. I had so many supplies. I made rings, necklaces, bracelets, earrings...and do I wear jewelry? Nope. Just my wedding band every day and occasionally a necklace that I also just go for Christmas. But, there were so many great ideas out there and being single, I had a lot of free time. I did give things to my friends and family and even made a little money at one craft show that I did. But, once I entered grad school, all of the supplies just sat in the closet. Now and then I would pull it all out, try to make some stuff and then realize that the 15 minutes of free time that I had, was over. Then I got married and started a new job and it all sat in storage for a year. Then came the baby and the realization of how much of a choking hazard all of that stuff was. So, up on craigs list it went. I sold the whole lot to a lady that was really excited to get into making jewelry. I then discovered that I needed some sort of crafty outlet...after all, I am my Mother's Daughter! :)
So...I get this sewing machine for Christmas and am so excited to get started. But, you have to buy everything...thread, seam ripper (I knew I would mess some stuff up), bobbins, patterns, material...the list just kept going. I made some pants for the little guy and realized that working from a store bought pattern was not that much fun. So, off to explore the internet I went. Wow! Between YouTube, blogs, about.com, and just google search you can figure out how to do just about anything! I found some wonderful blogs and websites that had ideas for different projects. I love making things for baby and have really enjoyed making bags.
So, here it goes. My adventures in sewing! I will post projects that I complete and maybe someday, I will have items available for sale. I'll have to first get some of that free time again. Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Poor Cora! I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see your stuff! Mom just gave me her sewing machine about a month ago, but I'm still too intimidated to try it out. I would love to just be able to alter stuff. I'm gonna put on my big girl panties one day and try it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is great. Can you imagine what my blog would have looked like if I had done one for the past 40 years? Can't wait to see what you come up with. I am so proud that you have turned into the crafty, creative person that you are. Love you.

    ReplyDelete